Welcome to my Blog

Welcome everyone, I hope to inspire you and share some of my papercraft work. You can find out where I teach and what I am up to, what inspires me and what I am working on next. I love to share new ideas and neat ways of adding creativity to your pages or cards etc

my blog

Friday, December 12, 2014

megs garden Sue Smyth

Christmas Layout 
by Sue Smyth 



Hi Bloggers
Merry Christmas to you all
I love a good Christmas layout
and gorgeous Meg's Garden papers are 
a great place to start to make a Chrissy layout.

Check out not one but 2 mini tutorials below
 on how to age holly leaves
 and make your own homemade faux snow.


I have added White enamel accents to the pine tree
and sprinkled with a little white glitter for 
a great snowy dimensional look


A neat close up of the chip frame with lots
of fluffy snow.


Add a row of pearls for shine and contrast to the frame.


I have painted the chip alpha with gesso, then paint
a thicker second coat and heat with heat gun to give a bubbly 
dimensional look. It looks so much like snow.


More of the snowy tree.


Start by dry brushing gesso around the edge of the patterned paper.
Attach the paper to sturdy chipboard to give it strength 


Step 1
Paint chipboard frame with white gesso 



Step 2
Paint with Distress crackle medium and allow to dry.

Step 3 
Then rub in Faded Jeans Distress ink into the crackles
 and wipe off with a wet wipe.

Step 4
Dab gesso around the edges when dry.


Step 5
Apply snow (see below for recipe) around the edges 
of frame and allow to dry.



To make your own homemade snow.
You can buy faux snow mediums but it is just as easy to make
it from any course or chunky glitter.

1 tablespoon of Diamond Dust
1 teaspoon of gesso 
1/2 teaspoon of Dimensional magic

Mix together and store in a sealed container 
until needed.

Aged Holly leaves
I love to alter the leaves I use to make 
them more realistic. This is one of the ways I do it


Step 1
Dry brush holly leaves with white gesso.

Step 2 
when dry daub with Peeled paint Distress ink.

Step 3
Daub over the out sides with Worn Lipstick Distress Ink
To give an aged look to the leaves.
You can do this to any paper leaves,
not just holly leaves!


Meg's Garden products 



Happy Crafting 

Sue Smyth 



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh this is just gorgeous! Thanks for giving the tutorial and 'recipe' for the snow. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete