Welcome to my Blog

Welcome everyone, I hope to inspire you and share some of my papercraft work. You can find out where I teach and what I am up to, what inspires me and what I am working on next. I love to share new ideas and neat ways of adding creativity to your pages or cards etc

my blog

Friday, September 6, 2013

Dusty Attic



Altered Journal 
By Sue Smyth
Today I am sharing an altered journal, made with a Dusty Attic notebook and chipboard. This is one of my favourite projects to do, and with chipboard it is very easy to achieve texture an dimension. I love the colours and gentle curves of peacock feathers. So I just had to create a journal featuring The Dusty Attic peacock chip feathers.

I have used Liquid pearls to colour the feathers as I like the raised surface they give.
There is an illusion of curves to the surface just like the real feathers. 
The iridescence is awesome. You could also use lumiere paints and Dimensional Magic.


Around the golden frame I have clustered assorted buttons, resin shapes and metal trinkets.
You can raid your stash to see what you have.
Anything that has a flat backed is suitable to be adhered to the front
with a thick wad of Gel medium, use it like you would icing.

Some nice close ups of the Gold frame, I have embossed the oval frame with Stampendous Aged Gold embossing powder. 

To speed up drying time use your heat gun, this will even dry gel medium.
May be not thoroughly, but enough to handle the book while working on the 
next step. 

When you have painted the peacock feathers flip them over and spray with black Dylusions to cover the whit gesso that shows on the sides. 



Take one Dusty Attic Journal 
To prepare the journal, I have used Gel medium to adhere assorted paper towels to the cover. Each brand has a different texture and pattern. so I like to mix it up. Adding masking tape to the edges gives it extra strength. I have also added plasterers tape and of course some Dusty attic chipboard. 
Once the gel medium is touch dry coat the whole book randomly with gesso.
Dry with heat gun.
Spray randomly with glimmer mists as desired.

Step 1
Coat feather in white gesso and allow to dry. Start with peacock liquid pearls and cover some of the fronds of the feather

Step 2
Add other colours to the feather, majestic purple and royal blue liquid pearls.

Keep the nozzle clean and unclogged, and
 add layers of colours until you build up a thick surface. Don't be afraid of 
adding more colours over the top of the previous.


Materials 
assorted paper hand towel
Gel Medium
brushes
mesh tape
masking tape
white and black gesso 
heat gun
fully purple, mallard and olive glimmer mist
Assorted metal trinkets, buttons and resin shapes
Peacock, Majestic purple and Royal Blue Liquid pearls
metallic gold and purple paint
pearl strip
Black dylusions( to spray the back of peacock feathers)
Gunmetal stickles
Stampendous Aged Gold embossing powder
Dusty Attic chipboard
peacock feathers 
oval frame
border and corner 
lock
chip flowers
wish 

Corner Scroll #4

ATC Frame #1


mini keyhole 20 pk

Corner Scroll #4

2 comments: